Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Panel Print Top

I recently purchased this panel from Marcy Tilton's online fabric store here:




Here is a detailed picture of the panel:



After it arrived, my daughter liked it so much that I ordered another panel for her.  Obviously, she is too old for mother/daughter outfits, but she is moving away next month after her wedding.   As a result, we can each wear one since we will no longer be in the same vicinity.  Since I am still sewing bridesmaid dresses for the upcoming wedding,  my sewing time for other endeavors is very limited, so selecting a simple pattern such as Vogue 8877 allows me to show off this beautiful panel quickly.


I used the version above and paired it with a soft, black dotted tissue knit (also from Marcy Tilton Fabrics) that I think is now sold out (SEE UPDATE BELOW--FABRIC IS AVAILABLE!)  , but similar  fabrics can be ordered here.  The mesh fabric is going to be used for the top piece and the three quarter length sleeve shown in View C below.  I lengthened the top front piece approximately an inch and a half in order to use every possible inch of the length of the panel.  I used the panel for the bottom front and back, but I could have used one panel for the front piece only  and had enough to use for another top had I chosen to make the back piece out of the mesh knit also.





The results are stunning and it feels luxurious! The black knit was a bit tedious to manage, but well worth it!  The combination of the two types of fabrics was similar to many tops in high-end local boutiques,  I do not think any of the fabrics of the boutique tops, however,  felt as  luxurious as Marcy's fabrics.   I finished Danielle's top first,since she will be taking her version with her to a leadership conference this week.  I will post pictures  of the finished garment when she returns.  Meanwhile, I need to order some more of the black mesh knit in order to finish mine.

UPDATE:

The black knit that I used for the sleeve is a tissue knit--NOT a mesh knit that I originally mentioned before I edited the post above.  I found the shipping invoice and noticed that the black fabric is called a tissue knit, and I was able to find the exact fabric here:


Since it is a semi-sheer fabric, it does not overwhelm the panel print, and it makes a lovely combo. This fabric feels totally luxurious.  I think it would work very well for lingerie, also.  I love it, love it, love it!!!!

Here is a detail picture of the dotted tissue knit:



No comments:

Post a Comment