Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sewing for a Wedding


My current sewing goals revolve around my new role as a mother of the bride.  My daughter is getting married this June, and I have volunteered to make the bridesmaid dresses.  There will be five attendants plus a flower girl.  Whether or not to make the flower girl dress has not been decided, but I am committed to making bridesmaid dresses in a simple but elegant style.  We have chosen Vogue 1250 that everyone in the sewing blogosphere has probably made by now.  As I perused some bridesmaid styles, I saw a dress almost identical to this one in a mint green with an inset of dark green sequins at the neck.  The price was $173 for each dress.  I thought to myself that I could make an almost identical dress with this pattern but for significantly less.  Most of the attendants are college students who are also saving and working to pay for college expenses.  Here is the view from Vogue:



I have measurements for four of the five attendants, and we are currently looking for a stretchy satin or knit to use for the dress.  We plan to lengthen it.  Danielle (my daughter) wants me to add some flare.  Just as I was about to give up and go with a different pattern, I found another blogger's picture of a sequined gown.  Check out Sew Intriguing's pictures of her sequined gown.

Now, I need to figure out how to create fullness in the lower skirt without having to add a side seam.  I also need to find a way to add an inset under the draping neckline.  Danielle wants to use a light turquoise blue and the inset will be a darker sequined fabric.   I hope to create a fake tube top with the inset and sew it underneath the arms across the bodice so that it will appear to be a simple tube top underneath.  

Any ideas or suggestions will definitely be welcome.  I plan to make a trial run in different fabrics very soon.  

I have also been eyeing some fabrics at Gorgeous Fabrics for my mother of the bride dress.  There is also a sequined fabric that is gorgeous--I am not sure about the color.  I need a simple pattern with a beautiful impact if I choose this:




Decisions, decisions, decisions . . . !



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    It's going to be fun watching your progress on the dresses! Thank you so much for your very kind comments on my dress. I don't think you can go wrong with this pattern, as its huge following shows. I think 'everyone' has made this dress, many of us more than once. It's just such a good style.

    Your idea of a tube top under the dress for a sequined tube top is interesting. I think the easiest way would be to actually make a tube top with your sequined fabric, (I've seen this done with a top and it looked like a really complicated thing, but it's actually a tube top separately, and not even anything you would wear by itself) although I would use a plain knit for whatever wouldn't show so that it wouldn't 'read' through your dress fabric. I wouldn't attach it to the dress. I would be afraid that it would pull on the dress and make it hang funny in places.
    I love that sequined fabric from Gorgeous Things! She has such beautiful fabric. What style are you thinking of? As sheer as it looks, you could even do almost a caftan-type overdress with something simple and easy under it. That would show off the fabric.

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to take your advice on the tube top idea. I will make the front center portion with the darker turquoise sequin fabric and the back and sides can be a stretch knit. I had also worried about attaching it to the sides because of the reasons you mentioned.

      I have been working out at the gym and have lost 35 pounds. I am trying to lose some more between now and May. So, for my dress, I will probably select a simple pattern to show off the fabric. Since I am using V1250 for the bridesmaid dresses, I need to find another style. I am thinking of something with a jacket with 3/4 length sleeves. Depends on how much success I have with weight training between now and June.

      Thanks again for the helpful hints! I am looking forward to sewing these dresses.

      Delete