Saturday, January 15, 2022

PHD 2022 and Refreshing this Blog!

 

Project #1 for PHD Challenge

 
















Welcome to 2022!

I decided that it is about time to dust off this blog and make it a meaningful way to track my sewing passions, which include sewing garments for myself and occasionally my daughter, quilting, and embroidery.  So, I plan to post updates on all three of these areas this year and see how much I can accomplish if I become more focused and organized.

With that in mind, I have decided to join the PHD 2022 initiative.  I have quite a few quilting and fashion sewing projects lingering around my craft room, but today's post will focus on quilting only.

Here is my list of UFOs:

1.  SEC quilt for my DH (needs borders)

This quilt has a block for all of the SEC football teams--my husband is a huge SEC fan.  Each team has a block surrounded by its colors.  I started this quilt 3 years ago.  The borders are supposed to be a royal blue with yellow cornerstones.  Each of the four corner blocks will have an SEC patch.  I am going to try to hand quilt it.  

The picture below shows the blocks assembled.  I want to add a narrow black border.  This is a Dewey block from Quilter's Cache.  It is a great pattern for highlighting a feature fabric..





The four blocks above were originally going to be corners.  I should have known that these blocks, which finish at 16 inches each would be too large for the four corners of the quilt.  Too bad.--someone (DH or DS) will receive a wall hanging with these.  I plan to order more patches to center in the white centers of the blocks.  .Each piece in these  four blocks was fussy cut, and each block features fabric from one of the SEC teams at the present time.  I have to finish this quilt before a change occurs in 2025--I am not re-making the quilt--I might add a couple of throw pillows for the two new incoming teams!  LOL


I should have plenty of time coming up after this week--my new semester of classes just started this week, and I have to work the rest of this weekend on starting my on-line classes.  After that, my husband leaves for Omaha , Nebraska for work -- I probably will not see him until my spring break in March.  I hope to take this quilt to him then. So my January project will be to work on this as much as possible.  Next month's project is a binding job--everything else is done, so this might carry over to February, but my goal is to at least finish the top before the end of January--at least!

2.  Pink/Green Quilt (already quilted--just needs binding)

3.  Deer Print Quilt for DS (needs 1 more row of blocks and borders)--Christmas gift for DS.

4.  Brown scrappy log cabin quilt (needs four more blocks)--gift for me and my DH--to be used either on our bed or on the bed in our camper.  

5.  Biblical Blocks Quilt (needs 4 more blocks and borders cut and added)

6.  Warm cabin nights quilt (need to finish border, check/adjust  block sizes, and assemble)

7.  Bears in the Woods Quilt by Eleanor Burns (Need to sew most of the blocks and assemble for DD)

8.  Civil War Quilt --needs binding sewed on 

9.  Route 66 Wall Hanging/Panel Quilt--need to assemble and add borders--this is to be a Christmas gift for DH--wall hanging for camper bedroom.

10. Yellow & blue round robin quilt (needs 1 border added)

11.  9-patch quilt (Need to assemble sashing and  blocks)

12. Purple pinwheels quilt--all assembled--just needs quilting.  I started this quilt about 12 years ago for my mother-in-law, Carol.  She passed away before I could get it quilted, so it has sat.  Time to get it quilted and bound.  I think I will gift this to my sister-in-law, Carol's daughter.  The fabrics wre bought as a collection from Keepsake Quilting quite a few years ago.  Some of the pictures appear to be pink--there are pink hues, but it is primarily Purple, lavenders, and teals.


It is easier  to see the borders in the picture below.  Most importantly, the quilt is pretty, and I just need to quilt it or send it out to be quilted.



The quilt has a triple border.  In the picture above, you can see the pinkish/lavender fabric at the bottom is the lining.  I need to get this one started before next December if it is to be a Christmas 2022 gift.

I will update the other items in the list above with photos and descriptions as I have more time in the next couple of weeks.  This three-day weekend is a work-related weekend for me as I finish my on-line classes that I teach -- on-line classes begin in two days.

Other quilting UFOs and on/going projects:

1.  Pickle Dish Paper-Pieced Bali 

2.  Scrappy Basket 

3.  Kaffe Fasset Quilt Kit from Arizona

4.  Cactus Wallhanging Kit

5.  Jinny Beyer Moonglow quilt kit (only two blocks complete)

6.  Scrappy Hexagon Quilt

7.  My mother's flower garden quilts (one is almost complete, another is cut out--I want to finish these two for my niece and daughter.

8.  Big Foot Quilt

9.  Applique chicken quilt

10.  Applique cat quilt


Work demands are crazy---I  will update this blog with new posts and pictures for the other UFOs and descriptions as soon as I can. For now, I am going to attempt to join the Link party for PHD quilt projects. This is my first Linky party attempt, so maybe I can still figure it out and join for the year.







4 comments:

  1. Your link-up worked! I'm glad you're reviving your blog. I've been intermittent in my posting too. I look forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I took a moment to look at your blog--I'll explore more later--you have some beautiful quilting blocks posted. I noticed that you are part of the group that tracks 15 minutes of stitching time per day. I need to try that. I will try to find out if it is too late to join that for this year. If it is, I can always just do it on my own.

      Delete
  2. I've recently revived my blog as well. Hopefully I'll make it past 4 months this year. Your SEC quilt is great! Looks like it was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten. I just looked at your blog--sorry for the delayed response. I have been a bit off-track--your quilts are beautiful. Will comment on your blog. The SEC quilt is on schedule to be quilted during my spring break week off, hopefully!. I knew I would not be able to finish it during January--I teach college accounting courses, and the starts and ends of semesters usually hold up my sewing progress.

      Delete